School Nurse

Mrs. Lori Meyer, RN

Phone:  (716) 631-7483
Fax:      (716) 631-7404

Office Hours: 7:15am-2:45pm


A nurse is available during the school day from 7:15am-2:45pm.  If you feel the need for the nurse, regarding illness or injury, inform the teacher in charge.  The nurse will contact a parent or guardian if a student needs to leave school because of illness or injury.


New York State Education Law prohibits school personnel from administering medication to students.  We understand that there will be cases when it is necessary to take medication during school hours.  At these times, the school nurse can cooperate with the family and the prescribing doctor can provide the required documentation, including signed medication administration forms. Without these forms, medication will not be given. This includes ALL over the counter medications.   Please call the nurse for details on dispensing medicine of any kind, including acetaminophen,ibuprofen, cough drops, eye drops, etc. 

Physical Education Excuses

A note from the parent or guardian is required if a student is to be excused from gym/swim for one day.  The note must be specific in stating the reason for the excuse.  A note is required from a physician for an absence of more than one day.  The note must indicate the reason for the absence and the length of time the student will be out.  The school nurse will NOT excuse anyone from gym.

Physical Examinations

Beginning July 1, 2018, physical examinations are required by law in N.Y.S. on all students new to the Maryvale Union Free School District (regardless of grade level), as well as students in grades Pre-K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. All students who wish to play a scholastic sport or obtain a working card will also be required to have an updated physical. Health forms may be emailed or faxed to the High School at or (716) 631-7404.  The school physician may provide required physicals for students if they are unable to utilize their family physician.


Emergency Data Information is required for all students.  We ask that all families list the phone number of a relative or friend that can be contacted in an emergency.  Please call the main office to update your students emergency contact information. A student who is feeling ill must ask permission to go to the nurse's office from a class.  The nurse will then attempt to contact a parent or guardian.  In the interest of a student's health and safety, a student may not leave school without a parent/guardian and the nurse's permission.

Working Papers

Students who would like to apply for a working permit may do so beginning at age 14. Students and parents should complete Part 1 of the Application for Employment and will be required to have a current physical on file in the Health Office (within 12 months of application date). New applications and physicals will be required when students are 16 years of age. Please call the Health Office for an Application or if you have any questions.