Degrees and Certifications:
Welcome back. I look forward to a successful year with you. Below is an outline of the supplies needed, grading procedures, classroom procedures, and discipline procedures, etc. Please review it carefully, sign the last page and return it. Feel free to make any comments or suggestions that would help me help your child succeed. Thank you.
All materials are to be brought to class daily:
- 1 ½ Inch Binder with Loose Leaf Paper
- pencil case/box with supplies (pencils, eraser, dry erase marker)
- Spiral or composition notebook
Your quarter average will consist of homework assignments, tests & quizzes, and participation.
The breakdown is as follows:
Tests/Quizzes/Graded Assignments: 70%
Homework Completion: 30%
Homework: Roughly 30% of the quarterly grade Homework will be assigned at least 4 times per week. Completion is expected by the next class period unless otherwise specified. Typically, homework will be worth 2 points per assignment and graded as follows:
2– Completion (work and effort shown) of all problems assigned before class
1 – Completion of at least 50% of assigned problems or little to no attempt (effort) shown on assigned problems.
0 – No work or effort shown or less than 50% of the assigned problems completed.
Late homework assignments will not receive full credit. Exception: Absences - please see absence policy.
Options for receiving extra help: during mutual free periods or after school (student should be in contact with teacher in advance to confirm availability.)
Participation includes asking questions, taking notes, volunteering to present math problems and explain concepts, working cooperatively with classmates, maintaining an organized binder, completing HW regularly, studying nightly and seeking help when needed. Participation will add to understanding!
In order for each student to reach his or her full potential in math class, attendance is very important.
- Any student who is absent is required to make up the missed work/test within two class days of returning.
- Students, who miss class due to music lessons or any other reason, are responsible for all assignments and notes within two class days of lesson.
- If a student knows ahead of time that they will be out of school, they must see me to get the material they will be missing. Prior notification of at least one week is appreciated.
It is the student’s responsibility to make up any missed assignments or get papers/notes from the teacher.
Students will actively participate in the learning process by:
- Completing learning tasks and activities
- Coming to class prepared, ready to work, and on time
- Follow directions the first time given
- Being respectful of other students and teachers
- Being responsible seeking extra help when needed
- Asking questions and answering questions
Rewards for following the rules include SOAR coins, verbal praise, treats, no HW passes and others.
Consequences for choosing not to follow the rules shall progress through the following: verbal warning, time out and chat with me, parent phone call & lunch/after school detention (and a referral will be written).
*Please periodically check Mr. McGregor’s webpage to find information including after school extra help hours.
*Log in to eschool to monitor your child’s progress throughout the quarter
ALL STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE THE FINAL EXAM AT THE ASSIGNED TIME IN JUNE. If a student is absent on the day of the final exam, they will not receive an exam score and a “0” will be averaged in to their overall grade. Make-ups will not be given.
Core Exam Exemption
Students may be eligible to be exempt from their local final exams if the following criteria is met. In which case, any student who qualifies for exemption will receive an exam grade equivalent to the average of the four marking period grades.
- Have a course average of 95 or higher at the 35-week mark
- Has taken the New York State Assessment in the Mathematics
Thank you for taking the time to review this. I am confident that this year will be both successful and enjoyable. Please feel free to contact me any time.