Welcome to Student Services!
In the middle school we have two school counselors who are assigned by alphabet.
Mrs. Winnicki works with students whose last names begin with A-L. Mrs. Winnicki is available Monday - Friday.
Mrs. Shaver works with students whose last names begin with M-Z. Mrs. Shaver is available Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Here are some reasons a student at Maryvale Middle might want to talk to the School Counselor:
- They are concerned about their grades.
- Other students are calling them names or bullying them and they don't know what to do about it.
- They are under a great deal of stress or they are feeling anxious, uneasy, or suicidal.
- There are problems in the family.
- There has been an illness or death of a loved one.
- There is a problem outside of the classroom that they can't handle on their own.
- They are having behavior or adjustment problems in the classroom.
Here are some reasons parents at Maryvale Middle might want to talk to the School Counselor:
- Your child is "cutting" or has had thoughts of suicide.
- You are concerned because your child keeps telling you that he doesn't have any friends.
- You recently had a death in the family, and you're not sure how or what to tell your child.
- Your child has difficulty going to sleep at night and often has nightmares.
- You and your ex-spouse are divorced and you think your children could benefit from talking about it with another adult or with other students who are in similar situations.
- Your child seems to get frustrated doing his/her homework, and nothing you say or do seems to help.