This class follows the New York State Regents Curriculum for Physical Setting/Physics. Topics covered include:
Mechanics which includes: Vectors and One Dimensional Kinematics, Forces, Friction, Gravity, Two Dimensional Kinematics and Momentum.
Energy which includes: Work, Power, Potential Energy, Kinetic Energy, Elastic Energy and Conservation of Energy.
Electricity and Magnetism which includes: Static Electricity, Coulomb's Law, Ohm's Law, Series and Parallel Circuits, Electrical Energy and Power.
Waves and Modern Physics.
This class is recommended for students who may be considering a college major involving science or engineering. Regents Physics involves the use of math - mainly algebra, with some geometry and trigonometry.
The following materials are required daily for class:
- Pen or pencil.
- 3 ring binder (2 - 3")
- A scientific calculator with the basic math functions, scientific notation, sine, cosine, tangent, square and square root.
- Additional materials that are useful for practice at home inlude a protractor and small metric ruler.
- Be on time.
- Be Prepared.
- Cell phones and other electronics should be off and out of site.
- Do not cause disruptions.
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Tests and Quizes - 60%
- Labs - 20%
- Homework - 10%
- Class Participation - 10%
The final class is the average of the 4 marking period grades and the regents exam grade.
Students can receive extra help for remedial purposes before, during, and after school. Students are strongly encouraged to utilize the Academic Learning Center of the High School or make arrangements for individual help from their instructor. Parents and students can ensure success by logging assignments in the student planner and are encouraged to use the student/parent portal to check grades on a regular basis.